Climate change is the major environmental challenge of our time. Global action is needed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions as well as adapt to the changes that cannot be avoided. ISO International Standards can help tackle climate change in a number of ways.
- help organizations to quantify their greenhouse gas emissions and communicate on them, for example ISO 14064 and ISO 14065,:
- promote good practice in environmental and energy management, such as ISO 14001 and ISO 50001, and
- open up world markets for energy efficient and renewable energy technologies.
Monitoring climate change
ISO technical committee ISO/TC 211 develops standards on geographic information and geomatics. It collaborates, among other partners, with the :
- United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) on standards for satellite mapping and data acquisition and processing ;
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on standards for meteorological and climatological data.